Sunday, November 15, 2009

Just Life - An Update

Non-Tumor Life

Eli was a raspberry for Halloween...So so cute!

Eli started school this year at the Denver Waldorf School…the same school I attended from pre-school to 8th grade. He absolutely loves it and, of course, he already has many girlfriends. His teachers are the most dedicated, compassionate and engaging teachers you can imagine, and it shows in how much he is learning, growing and loving his new school. Additionally, we feel so lucky to have the support of the other Waldorf families. We decided to tell everyone a little about Eli so that there would be no secretes, uncertainties or questions like “why is that kid so small and still cannot go up stairs at 3 years old!” The response we got was just amazing. Not amazing because everyone wrote back with their sympathy, but amazing because everyone took the time to tell us little stories about Eli that touched them – like how he befriended their child, or how he always says good morning to the child AND the parent each day or just how much they loved Eli and find his spirit beautiful…We are so very very lucky to have the Waldorf family as part of our family.

Jacob started his post-doc and is very inspired (again – finally). He has decided to continue his work on the basic science of cancer therapy. This has been what he has worked on for the past 10 years and although he was thinking of looking into a career in alternative energy – circumstances confirmed his path and dedication to cancer research.

I am happy to be nearly half way through my 2nd year of med school and very relieved to have completed my neurology/nervous system block. It taught me a lot about Eli’s disease and gave me better perspective to understand his treatment – but it was tough emotionally (and academically!). Unfortunately, now I must begin preparing for the Step 1 USMLE board exam. This exam is probably the single biggest determinant of what specialty you have the OPTION of going into. While I am still unsure of what I want to specialize in (peds or OB sub-specialty) I hope to do well enough on my boards that I will have some options (like peds-ophthalmology if I so desire). I will take the exam in the beginning of April – so be wishing me luck….please!

Otherwise life is moving along. We have good days and bad days, sad days and silly days, confusing days and frustrating days and days that we wish would last forever…And those are the ones we try to remember when we have days that we wish never were.

No comments:

Post a Comment